Friday, September 2, 2011

ruthie's red -- the fifth story


The colors of young Ruthie Joad’s world ranged from faded denims and soiled flesh to endless hues of brown. But that all changed when the rains finally came. The landscape was now littered with lush greens and vivid wildflowers. Ruthie grew particularly fond of red geraniums. They were now known as "Ruthie’s Red".


The moment I read how Ruthie Joad from The Grapes of Wrath stuck a petal from a "scraggly geranium gone wild" to her forehead because it resembled a heart, I knew I had to try and capture her euphoria on canvas. To me, this moment was not just a reprieve but also an escape to absolute normalcy for a child her age.


"Ruthie's Red" - 8"x8" acrylic on cradled wood panel






Tomorrow I will share a story of "Faded Clover", my sixth and final painting in my Dust Bowl Glimpses series. In case you missed them, here are stories one, two, three, and four. As always, thanks for stopping by. Cheers, Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment