Thursday, February 17, 2011

a bit unconventional

hemp/organic cotton fabric with oil gesso


My approach to art has always been a bit unconventional....and I wouldn't have it any other way. I owe this gift to my mom who taught me how to be comfortable with exploring alternative approaches to art.


stretching my own canvas in an unconventional way


This past year I've envisioned creating a series of oil paintings that would incorporate stretching my own eco textiles (organic linen and hemp/organic cotton blends) and displaying them in an unconventional manner...on pieces of salvaged or weathered wood. The fact that each gessoed canvas (multiple coats + sanding) is NOT uniformly smooth makes me extremely happy!


salvaged Chechen hardwood with a single coat of tung oil


Well, the process has been much slower than I had liked, but I am making progress and that's what's important, right? So much is involved in properly sizing and gesso-ing the textiles to accept oil paints (more on that subject later). And the oil paints themselves need more time to dry before varnishing. Sigh. So while the oil paints take their sweet time drying, I've brought out the acrylics to satisfy my need to put image to paper faster.


gessoed canvasses waiting to be permanently affixed to salvaged hardwoods

No comments:

Post a Comment